Monday 4 August 2014

Tesco Haul

I understand the stigma surrounding supermarket clothing lines. Cheap clothes, no big brands. What could POSSIBLY be worse?

As someone who grew up poor, I am used to having supermarket clothes and I have never once complained. I was that kid who couldn't afford what my peers were wearing but I wasn't the kid who complained about it. Maybe it was the fact that I knew I couldn't have them so I didn't waste my time wanting them. Maybe it was my horrible self image that made me think there was no point because I wouldn't look like them. But I had my F&F clothes that were affordable (which meant I got more clothes more regularly) and didn't fall apart like you would expect.

Supermarket clothing lines are getting more and more popular these days, which in some ways are pretty great - no more supermarket stigma! - but it seems to be driving the price up a little. But for nice clothes, some sacrifices do need to be made. Here's some stuff I picked up in the last few weeks.


Floral Palazzo Pants
Size: 14
Price: £16
online
I love these. I love these so so much that I've worn them out twice since I got them to special occasions. I brought a size smaller than I usually do for two reasons - the first being that I couldn't find a size 16 and the second being that I picked them off the rack and said "these are far too wide to be a size 14!". It was still the heat wave when I brought them and I took a gamble and didn't try them on before I brought them. The gamble paid off. They are light and airy, letting the right amount of heat escape and keeping the right amount in. I wore them to a friend's birthday party, with the accompanying mint crop top (H&M, size L) and felt wonderful and comfortable in my outfit, which really improved my anxiety about being around a lot of people I didn't know (but that could have easily been the alcohol too...). I also wore them to the theatre. I went to see Dirty Rotten Scoundrels and felt great navigating the tube and walking around London in these and the ice cream crop top from my last haul. Though £16 is a lot for a pair of trousers (in my cheap ass opinion), these are gorgeous in every single way. Don't get my started on POCKETS!

Jeggings
Size: 18
Price: £14
online

About two years ago I brought jeggings from Tesco because they were cheap, like six quid cheap, and I've worn them to shreds. Literally. The jeggings I had before were tight and comfortable and thin. These new jeggings are looser, still comfortable but not thin at all. I'm quite surprised they were being sold in the summer and our lovely London heat wave. I haven't worn them out of the house yet, it's been far too warm and muggy and even when I'm taking photos they seem to absorb my sweat. While I don't think I'll get much use out of these in the next month or so, a good find for autumn and cooler days. Other comments are that they bunch up at my ankles a little because I am short and the elasticated waist is kinda weird but not a big deal. I don't like paying a lot for basics like leggings and jeggings, and £16 felt like a lot, but I think I'll get quite a bit of use out of these. I think they need a big jumper and boots to pretend my tummy actually looks nice in these.

Toucan jumper

Size: 18
Price: ??? / on sale
not available online as it was a sale item
I'm a sucker for cute animals and I'm a sucker for knitwear. This jumper is my kryptonite. While it isn't half as flattering as it could be, it's cute. While it is important to dress for your body shape/type, loving the clothes you wear is just as important. I want to wear cute toucan jumpers so I will. Other animals I have a thing for on clothes include horses and unicorns, small fluffy mammals, cats, birds and butterflies.

I also brought a turquoise cardigan that mysteriously disappeared when I came to take photos.

No comments:

Post a Comment